Did you ever notice how much the small intestines- ” The Gut “, looks a lot like the Brain?
Our small intestines function as a second brain. They contain more neurons than any organ but our brain (and as many as the spinal cord)
The physical structure of the small bowel most resembles that of the brain. In addition, like the brain, the small intestines experience the greatest range of emotions. For example, Emotions manifest themselves in the form of gastrointestinal distress.
95 percent of the body’s serotonin is in the gut and serotonin is what helps control depression in our brains. How you feel influences how you eat, and how you eat influences how you feel.
Have you ever had a gut feeling or butterflies in your stomach? Has hunger ever changed your mood? Our bellies and brains are physically and biochemically connected in a number of ways, meaning the state of our intestines can alter the way our brains work and behave, giving a whole new meaning to ‘Food for thought’.
Watch nutritionist, microbiologist and neuroscientist, Ruairi Robertson, who is passionate about the link between our bellies and brains.
Did you know Papier Mache is made of the very ingredients also found in breads, pastas and processed grain products? So if Papier Mache turns rock solid after layers are built up, couldn’t the same effect be happening in our GI Tract after years of eating refined flour products? I guess they don’t call wheat “GLU”-ten for nothing.
This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. Gluten – friend or foe? This was the talk that got the standing ovation and changed everyone’s eating habits for the rest of evening. Over the course of 15 minutes Dr. Rodney Ford, MB. BS. MD. FRACP, and a pioneer in the field of paediatric food allergies, convinced an audience of 500 that nobody is equipped to digest gluten. How did he do it? By using lego! Dr. Ford showed us the indigestible gluten protein is chased by the antibodies that our systems create to combat the gluten. Based on decades of research, Dr. Ford believes that abundant health can be achieved by anyone who eats the appropriate foods.
Julia Bosco Habib explains very easily the process of elimination. “Cancer and tumors are responses to a backed up lymphatic system (your bodies sewer system.) Processed foods, sugars, chemicals and not exercising cause mucus which stagnate this system. Proper cleaning and detoxing the body cleans out the mucus and gets the sewer system moving. This process allows healthy cells to be hydrated and eliminate the damaged cells while moving tumors out! Your body needs to be in an alkaline hydrated state for this to happen. Food is key to getting proper hydration to the cells and provide the alkaline environment. The food you eat either creates healthy cells or damages cells! Cells are damaged in an acidic environment. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is acidic. One glass of soda is so acidic it would take 6-7 glasses of H20 to bring back to base! Chemo is acidic, it will burn your skin. What do you think it does to your cells?? Especially your healthy cells? Tens of thousands are being healed by implementing changes in diet and using detox protocols. If you know ANYONE with cancer refer them to Dr. Morse in Florida. He’s backed up for over a year with appointments but others there can set up a healing protocol. He’s so busy because he’s helping people cure their stage 4 diagnosis, as well as leukemia and heavy viral issues. I have personally healed cancer cells using his method. The body was made to heal! Educate yourself about your powerful lymphatic system, because your doctors won’t talk much about it.” ~ Jules
We have known since the 1970s that a nutritional approach can help autism, thanks to the research by Dr Bernard Rimland of the Institute for Child Behavior Research in San Diego, California.
He showed that vitamin B6, C and magnesium supplements significantly improved symptoms in autistic children. In one of his early studies back in 1978, 12 out of 16 autistic children improved, then regressed when the vitamins were swapped for placebos. In the decades following Dr Rimland’s study, many other researchers have also reported positive results with this approach”.
“Autism, could the cause be dietary?
Dark rings under the eyes. Hyperactive anti-social behaviour.
Most people believe that autism and Asperger Syndrome ‘could be caused’ by damage to and by an unclean bowel and digestive system.
“All disease begins in the gut.”
Hippocrates (circa 430 BC).
And also by giving children antibiotics and toxic medicine’s, that remain in the body, are ruining their natural ability to digest and absorbe foods. And ruin their ability to fight future diseases.
A mucusless, gluten, dairy and sugar free diet can heal autistic children in a very simple way, by healing their digestion. Behavioural changes and interaction with other children, will calm as the child eats more fruits, vegetables, whole, natural unprocessed foods.
Their energy levels will rise from the fructose sugar and not be unstabilised by processed Sugar’s. Getting away from cooked foods, gluten, casein, grains, and starch as well. Cooking on raw diet will be needed to heal and seal the gut wall again.
Once the gut lining is healed, many chronic health problems will just magically go away. Chronic and debilitating things, like autoimmune diseases, behavior problems to eczema and yes, even autism.
To heal your body of mucus, is to restore it’s full power again to heal itself. Here is an example of mucusless foods from a list by “Arnold Ehret The Mucus-less Diet Healing System”
Acid binding, high alkaline ripe and watery whole fruits are the most detoxifying and lymph pulling fruits for a fast detoxification. Wild fruit is better, but if you can’t get that buy organic and local. And herbs to help restore broken-down kidney and liver functions.
Dried or baked fruits will slow down your detox if it is moving too fast.
Dates, Figs, Raisins, Bananas
Drink distilled water or.
Coconut Water ⭐️
Green juice smoothies⭐️
Lakewood Concord Grape Juice ⭐️
When fresh Lemon juice is added.
Lakewood Cranberry Juice ⭐️
When fresh Lemon juice is added.
Local high grade honey.
Raw vegetables roots stem and all, that being relatively starchless or mucusless.
Celery ⭐️ Cucumbers ⭐️ Dandelion (periodically will add to green vegetable juices) ⭐️ Peppers/capsicum (Green, Red, Yellow, or Orange) Hot peppers as well. Red Beets (raw) Sea Vegetables (Dulse, Kelp) ⭐️Sprouts (Alfalfa) ⭐️ Tomatoes, Zucchini, Sprouts ⭐️
To help in the transition to raw foods, please allow some baked or steamed starchless and mucusless fruits and vegetables.
Acorn Squash (Baked) Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts,
Butternut Squash (Baked) Carrots,
Green Peas, Peppers (Green, Red, Yellow, or Orange) – But as always to eat them raw is always best.
Spaghetti Squash, Sweet Potato (Baked) the best choice if you have cooked food. Zucchini (Steamed or Baked) But spiralled like spaghetti is always better for you.
Sea salt or unprocessed Himalayan salt, is also good for you. Also brushing your teeth with baking soda is also helpful in re-alkalising the body.
Finally, to sum up things, the only disease that exists is a “dis-ease” called acidosis. Stagnant acids create obstructions that your kidneys and lymph can’t handle anymore. They are too backed up and damaged to filter anymore. They then release them through the urinary tract causing swelling and rashes and symptoms that your body needs to be cleaned and detoxifed.
Fruits and intermittent fasting are the logical cure. But people don’t want to hear that. Mainstream medicine are only treating the symptoms, not the cause and to complicate matters, the medical ‘treatment’ usually makes matters worse. “It suppresses the symptom and stifles the body’s attempts to heal itself, by using poisons (pharmaceuticals, radiation, chemotherapy, etc). Remember: what you don’t eliminate, you accumulate. This eventually leads to chronic and degenerative issues, not to mention simple boils or tumor masses.” Robert Morse.
Autistic children need a new diet not a new doctor. While the scientific verdict is still out on diet as a cure, statistics point to a definite link between gastrointestinal issues and autism.
So many people have varying tastes and experiences with bananas. Many could have a Childhood banana trauma from eating them green and unripe.
A few generations before had a wonderful supply of bananas and were always taught to eat them ripe, like a cheetah with brown spots, that is the SUGAR!
So, I am hosting a retreat at the end of this Month and cleansing the clients 3 whole weeks before we arrive in the Outer Banks.
A few clients have told me in the past and during this cleanse that they do NOT like BANANAS!
Ok, well there are ways to get around that. I do suggest as you go along to maybe add a half a banana when you are ready to try to a smoothie here or there. Many times our taste buds are so out of whack, and we do not eat food at their ripest, it makes for strange flavors on your palette.
I do not suggest you start using nuts to thicken your smoothies. This can throw off your daily fat%, making it too high by making this a practice.
Chia Seeds, frozen fruit cubes, frozen veggie cubes, and oatmeal are fabulous low fat thickeners to yummy smoothies.
I recommend soaking all dates, and chia seeds.
Oatmeal. The key to using oatmeal in a smoothie is to finely grind it first. Use about 1/4 cup of oatmeal powder to bulk up a smoothie.
Chia seeds. Chia seeds can act as a binding agent and thickener. Add 1 tablespoon to your blender or simply stir chia seeds into a smoothie and give it a minute to thicken.
Avocado. Avocado has a different flavor profile (and color!) than banana but it can be used to make a very creamy smoothie. However, very high in fat, so as you know a little goes a long way, just use 1-2 tablespoons! How about go a step further and make some frozen, some avocado ice cubes. Just puree ripe avocados in a food processor, or a blender, adding 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon or lime juice per avocado. I like to pack the puree into ice cube trays and freeze it that way so I can take out just what I need for a dressing or dip with a perfect amount of fat
Frozen fruit. Frozen fruit can thicken a smoothie and provide natural sweetness. Try mango, peachor apricots, one of my favorites.
Freezing Cucumbers and Zucchini as well are fab ways to thicken a smoothie, and keeping the fat low. Did you know that Cucumbers actually become sweeter as they freeze. Just like bananas can do,Cucumbers also help soothe the gut and increase digestive function in a gentle way.Frozen cubes of zucchini have a binding effect to thicken up smoothies. Zucchini is also a fruit, higher in Vitamin C and potassium than bananas and cucumbers. Squares of pumpkin and butternut frozen call also add thickness and richness, added with dates or frozen berries keeps the smoothies sweet. Drops of vanilla in any smoothie will also liven up the sweet taste when using veggie cubes.
“This is an herbal medicine I have created for insect bites made from guava leaves. No cooking involved. Best to pull leaves in morning on new moon to extract all the healing medicine.
Instantly heals mosquito bites if you can apply the moment they bite.
Collect fresh leaves. Blend well in spring water. Put in covered glass jar and set in the sun for 2 days. Strain through a fine mesh bag. Put the juice into ice cube trays. Keep these medicine cubes in the freezer and use as need to new bites, minor skin infections, and rashes. Takes away itch quickly. Can also be used on dog hot spots.
Safe for children. Kids here suck on them when they are applying them to their “boo boos.” They contain vitamin C.”
I would have to say these are the BOMB Flackers! I am not the biggest fan of raw vegan crackers, but NOW I am!
munching mindlessly on boxes of crackers are such empty calories, fat and sodium, not a good way to thrive. The mix of arugula, with a tinge of lemon peel make the aroma while they are dehydrating mesmerizing. They do not take long in a dehydrator, about 3 hours one side on HIGH then flip and dry for another hour or so.. Score the flackers as soon as you spread on sheets. If you want to cleanse and get ready to learn the arts of raw vegan cuisine, be nurtured with yoga massage and , art and love, join us, we have 3 rooms for Couples or Singles, Friend, or family at http://obxspringretreat.com
Ingredients of Sunny Arugula Flackers
1/4 cup flax seeds, SOAKED in 1 cup water
4 cups (2 large) zucchini, peeled & diced
4 cups, packed baby arugula
1 Tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup white sesame seeds
2 Tbsp lemon juice, and 2-3 inched of lemon peel
2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup minced yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup raw SOAKED sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds, ground
1) In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup flax seeds with the 1 cup of water. Set aside while you prep the rest of the recipe. This will give the flax seeds time to soak and thicken.
2) Peel the zucchini and dice into medium-sized chunks. You can leave the peel on if it is organic. Place 2 cups worth in the food processor, fitted with the “S” blade. Pulse the zucchini into small bits. Place in a medium-sized bowl.
Pulsing helps to draw the zucchini into the blades preventing it from being over processed.
Breaking this up into two batches will help in controlling the texture. If you try to process the complete mixture at one time you will over-process it, making it more liquidly.
3) In the food processor bowl, place the arugula in first then on top of that add the remaining 2 cups of zucchini.
4) By putting the arugula in first, the weight of the zucchini will help hold the arugula down and make it easy to process. Pulse together, but don’t puree it. We want small bits for texture.
5) Add; olive oil, garlic, sesame seeds, lemon juice, onion powder, salt and pepper. Pulse together until everything is combined.
6) Add the already processed zucchini and then add in the yellow pepper and sunflower seeds. Pulse a few times to combine everything. Transfer back to the bowl.
7) Do not process the flax seeds. Hand mix in the ground and soaked flax seeds, by processing it willchange color and texture, not in a good way : )
Stir together and set aside for 10+ minutes. Over the years I have found that I don’t like to add soaked seeds in the food processor because it adds a strange look and color to the cracker.
8) Spread half of the batter on the teflex sheet that comes with the dehydrator. Cover the complete tray from edge to edge. Repeat with the remaining batter on a second tray.
Dehydrate for 2-4 hours at 115 degrees. Remove the trays and make score lines in the cracker batter as to the size you desire. Return to dehydrator and continue drying for 8-10 hours or until dry. You can flip the crackers over on to the mesh sheet part way through the drying time but I didn’t (forgot).
Allow the cracker to cool to room temperature, snap the crackers into pieces and store in an airtight container.
Dairy products form mucus, which coats the digestive and respiratory tracts. Milk is not easily digested, and it’s also highly allergenic.
Here are some other facts about dairy products (milk, cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt, etc.)
Most of the world is lactose intolerant. Most of us lose the ability to completely digest lactose by age four. As a result, many milk drinkers develop diarrhea, gas, stomach cramps, bowel inflammation and toxicity.
• Dairy sources are high on the food chain, which concentrates toxins, pesticides, and hormones.
• More than 20 percent of dairy cows carry leukemia viruses. Sheep, goats and chimps that are fed cows’ milk sometimes develop leukemia. There’s a great possibility these viruses can be transmitted to humans too.
• Studies have shown that the two most common cancers: breast and prostate are associated with dairy product consumption.
• Studies have shown that type 1 juvenile onset diabetes in children is linked to dairy product consumption.
• Casein — a milk protein — is a common cause of food allergies. Casein needs the enzyme rennin, to break down, but rennin isn’t present in humans after the age of four.4 Cows’ milk contains 300 times more casein than mothers’ milk.5 Casein, which is very sticky, is a main component in popular nontoxic glue. Casein coats the digestive system, leading to leaky gut syndrome, malabsorption and/or constipation. These all lead to a weakened immune system and toxic build up in the blood along with a host of other health problems that stem from the leaky gut syndrome (see the Assimilative Health chapter). Casein is extremely mucus-forming, due to its bacterial breakdown (putrefaction), our allergic response, and its glue-like nature.
• Pasteurization destroys all enzymes, including phosphatase, which is necessary to assimilate calcium, minerals and vitamins. During pasteurization, milk is heated to at least 115 degrees Celsius, causing organic calcium to become insoluble and therefore very hard to digest. Temperatures from 190 to 230 degrees Celsius are required to kill typhoid bacilli, coli, tuberculosis and undulant fever, but pasteurization temperatures only reach 145 to 170 degrees. Pasteurization kills some beneficial bacteria which normally keep the harmful bacteria in check. Within 24 to 48 hours after pasteurization, the amount of harmful bacteria doubles.
• Cows’ milk has twice as much protein as human milk, because a baby cow doubles its weight so quickly.
• Baby cows who drank pasteurized milk died in 30 days.
• Homogenized cows’ milk prevents cream from floating to the top. If raw milk is ingested, the enzyme xanthine oxidase is digested in the stomach. If the milk has been homogenized, fat globules from the cream encase the enzyme, which can pass undigested into the blood, attaching to artery walls and becoming abrasive. The body repairs these abrasions with cholesterol. The xanthine oxidase enzyme is a significant cause of heart disease in the United States.
• Bovine growth hormone (BGH), also called bovine somatotropin (BST), stimulates milk production. Synthetic BGH/BST causes up to a 25 percent increase in milk production.
• The reason you don’t want to be consuming growth hormone which is in milk, chicken and all meat is because it does just that! It makes tissues grow, which includes cancer cells which are cells that have mutated and already started to grow at an accelerated rate. When growth hormone combines with cancer cells their already rapid growth rate increases. This causes a tragic scenario. The average American has a sluggish to very weakened immune system. The immune system (Natural Killer cells and macrophages) prevents the cancer cells which normally form in everyone from getting out of control. So if one has a weakened immune system the cancer cells can multiply in greater amounts because the white blood cells aren’t able to do their job of killing them as quickly. Now to this we add daily amounts of growth hormone from dairy products, meat and chicken, causing the cancer cells to form colonies faster. We call these tumors and once tumors have formed it is much more difficult for the white blood cells (Natural Killer cells and macrophages) to get at and destroy the cancer. Can you see how dairy products, meat and chicken can ultimately destroy your health?
• Dairy cows used to live 25 years. Now, few make it past four years because of the BGH they are injected with.
• Even pasteurized milk can transmit papillomavirus, which may be involved in a number of human cancers.
• Milk may be related to the onset of childhood diabetes mellitus.
• Antibiotics are common in milk, due to cows’ udder infections. Those antibiotics are transmitted to humans, causing reactions in those sensitive or allergic to antibiotics, or causing the production of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in our bodies.12 One of these is sulfamethazine, a suspected human carcinogen.
• Pesticide from cows’ feed gets concentrated as it goes up the food chain to you and me.
• Finland has one of the world’s highest dairy intakes — and the world’s highest death rate from heart disease. Finns consume 11⁄2 times more dairy products than Americans; coincidentally, Finland’s death rate from heart disease is 11⁄2 times higher than that in the U.S. High fat, high cholesterol, and liquid meat (milk) diets are not conducive to total health and wholeness.
The fact that we need calcium is a poor reason to say we must drink milk because pasteurization or heat renders the calcium practically unassimilatable and of very little use to the human body. The average American gets 807 mg of calcium a day from drinking milk. Compare that to daily averages in Spain (308 mg), Brazil (250 mg), Taiwan (13 mg) and Ghana (8 mg).14 People in these countries get their calcium from other sources like broccoli, spinach, soybeans, kidney beans, almonds, rhubarb, collards, turnips, etc.
The amount of calcium we need is debatable. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Nation Academy of Science recommends 800 mg per day for adults, while the World Health Organization recommends 400 mg. But God made our bodies so amazing that we absorb more calcium when consumed in lesser quantities than when we consume larger quantities. In other words, our bodies know precisely what and how much they need.
The risk of osteoporosis (thin, frail bones) is nearly double in meat and dairy-eating people than in strict vegetarians.
The African Bantu women consume a dairy-free diet, and they still get 250 to 400 mg of calcium daily — half that of Western women — from vegetable sources. Bantu women commonly have 10 children in their lifetime, and they typically breast-feed their children for about 10 months. Even with this tremendous calcium drain and relative low calcium intake, osteoporosis is essentially unknown among these women.
If you still believe you must drink milk to make your bones strong, here’s an interesting fact: The five highest dairy-consuming countries (Finland, Sweden, U.S., U.K. and Israel) also have the five highest rates of hip fracture — a sign of osteoporosis.
Here’s another case point that shows how we assimilate more toxins as we move up the food chain, when we move from eating plants to eating meat:
The Environmental Defense Fund studied the breast milk of 1,400 women from 46 states. The study found widespread contamination of breast milk with pesticides. The levels of contamination were twice as high in meat and dairy consuming women as in vegetarians. Because pesticides are concentrated in animal foods, the study advises women who plan to breast-feed to avoid meat, some kinds of fish, and high-fat dairy products.
Multiple sclerosis is more commonly found in areas of the world where infants and children are raised on dairy products rather than on breast milk and vegetable foods.
To close on dairy products, I leave you parents with the following thoughts concerning your children.
Dr. Dan Baggett, a pediatrician, directly correlates cows’ milk with the following conditions seen in his office:
All of these conditions began to improve when dairy products were eliminated from the diet.
Excerpt taken from the book Total Health = Wholeness: A Body, Mind and Spirit Manual by Dr. Keith and Laurie Nemec. For more information go to Total Health Institute http://www.totalhealthinstitute.com.
One of the magnificent activities we will enjoy at the OBX Spring Retreat is to enjoy and learn how to Stand Up Paddle Board. Everyone can do it! We want to challenge your boundaries with beauty and the feeling of using your whole body in action. The thrill of SUP through a spectacular natural wonderland.
Between the villages of Duck and Corolla is the pristine marsh of the Pine Island Audubon Sanctuary. Miles of secluded water trails make this arguably the most intricate marsh maze on the Outer Banks (8 square miles). The National Audubon Society has preserved a piece of the Outer Banks as it was before man arrived. In their goal to save wildlife habitat they have also created a paddle boarder’s dream. One of the unique features of this tour is the solitude you will experience. Coastal Kayak has partnered with the National Audubon Society to offer this exclusive tour of one of the Outer Banks least traveled and most sought after wildlife sanctuaries. The tour starts with a 10 minute walk down the Audubon trail to the location of our paddle boards. From here your guide will lead you into the maze of islands through which only he or she knows the way.
Why SUP? We really want to teach you this amazing way to transport yourself over a body of water. There is such freedom involved in standing aboard the water.
SUPs allow you to explore rivers, lakes, creeks, ponds and coastlines from a different vantage point and they give you a great workout too while you are at it. You really can SUP on any kind a flat waterway as long as it is safe.You should not have a problem finding a flat waterway to get your paddle board on since most cities are founded on a waterway. Paddle boarding can also get you out on the water at breathtaking sunrises and sunsets. Using a gopro while you are boarding will get you spectacular footage.
All levels of fitness will be able to handle SUP. You can do varying levels of exercise on your paddle board from gentle gliding to sprinting depending on the type of workout you want to get in and your expertise in maneuvering the paddle board. At the OBXSpringRetreat.com we aim to get you comfortable using SUP as a fitness tool.Paddle boarding allows the body to train neural coordination between the muscle groups. It also helps to improve your concentration and the strength that it provides overtime allows you to perform a number of other dynamic activities. Balance, Coordination and core strength, SUP uses all your facilities, and all of your senses are engaged while on the water. What a whole Body experience.
Excitotoxins are a class of chemicals (usually amino acids) that overstimulate neuron receptors. Neuron receptors allow brain cells to communicate with each other, but when they’re exposed to excitotoxins, they fire impulses at such a rapid rate that they become exhausted.